Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grilled Cheeses Aren’t Just for Kids


Viva la Fromage Grille!

grilled cheese sandwich with bread grilled to perfection
Grilled cheese sandwich cooked to perfection!
Wasn’t being a kid fantastic?  Think about it.  When you were tired, your dad carried you.  When you were sick, your mom made you feel better.   And when you were hungry, you were fed (hopefully). 

When I was hungry, I would beg for a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.  I loved the way my mom would grill the bread to a perfect golden brown using melted butter in a hot skillet.  Then she would smash the bread down really flat so that the cheese would ooze out the sides.  Not only did I love grilled cheese sandwiches, my mom loved them too.  It was a fast and easy meal that made me happy, which is all that any mother could ask for.

Today, nothing has changed.  While I grew out of cotton candy and Airheads, I did not grow out of grilled cheese sandwiches.  Why should my adulthood prevent me from enjoying this classic comfort food? 
The grilled cheese sandwich continues to be one of my favorites for cooking at home.  The only difference now is that I’ve modified my mom’s way of cooking it to accommodate my new vegan aspirations.

How to Make a Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Soup


While I cannot deny the dairy version of this comfort food is the best, I will say that I was able to achieve a tasty second in cooking this meal using vegan ingredients:
  • Sliced bread
  • Vegetable oil-based butter spread
  • Vegan cheese slices
  • Tomato soup

Substitute the butter with a vegetable oil-based or soy-based “butter” substitute.  Replace real cheese with vegan cheese slices. 

Directions for How to Make Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:

  1. Using a griddle or a skillet large enough to hold two slices of sandwich bread laid side-by-side, melt a generous amount of butter on med-hi heat.  Place the bread into the skillet and press down firmly using a spatula.  This will help the bread absorb the melted butter.
  2. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes or until one side of the bread appears golden brown in color.
  3. Flip both pieces of bread and add cheese slice(s) to one side.  You may need to add more butter to prevent the bread from burning.
  4. Once the second side of the bread is almost browned, smash together the two pieces of bread with the cheese in the middle.  I like to smash mine down flat like mom used to do, but you can skip this and achieve a “fluffier” grilled cheese sandwich if you like.

My mom always served her grilled cheese sandwiches cut diagonally with tomato soup, a perfect dipping medium.  When I make this winning combo at home these days using Campbell’s tomato soup in a can, I just replace the milk with water when diluting the soup.  If you make your own tomato soup, leave out the cream or use tofu-based cream as a replacement. 
Now you’ve got a vegan grilled cheese and tomato soup meal.  Perfect for when it’s cold outside and you need something to warm you on the inside.  Your mom would be so proud!

The Comeback of the Grilled Cheese Sandwich


Lately, I’ve noticed several chain restaurants offering grilled cheese sandwiches as menu specials.  As I sit in Panera Bread on a blustery cold Tuesday, I’m seeing their grilled cheese and bacon with creamy tomato soup special fly off the shelves.  Chef Gordon Ramsay even featured a melty grilled sandwich creation on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.  There is no doubt that the grilled cheese sandwich has made a comeback. 

If you never knew the comforting qualities of this easy-to-make sandwich, try it out.  Who knows, you may be destined to share the experience with your own kids or start a new tradition.

Image from TheKitchn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment